Tuesday, September 29, 2009

From Snears to Reality: The Magic of Angers

So, Angers...

DAY 1: That Bag is in My Seat

What a day I had yesterday. It was a day of moving and change, fully of anxiety and fear!

Yesterday or Monday September 28th I left everything familar to me for Angers. Still struggling with the language, and still struggling to get directions right, I left early in the morning with my luggage that weighed a ton, too many bags and not enough arms, the first time I felt more American then ever.

At first I had no trouble because Tiphaine took me to the train, but from there I was on my own. Allie advised me to look helpless, and in doing so some Frenchman would surely help me. This is not my forte, I prefer to be an independant woman, and not look like such a foreigner. Well, if I'm going to be doing that I best start lifting some weights, because there was no way I could carry all that luggage myself.

It certainly felt like an not so good day. I felt everyone's eyes, watching me struggle with my luggage in discust and distaste. Silly, materialistic American, I heard over and over again. (Which was of course all in my head, but I only realized that because I was hearing it in English and not French)

Finally on the train towards Angers, I go to take my seat, and there is a large duffle bag in it. I think to myself for a moment. Should I ask her to move the bag or just take an empty seat? I wasn't sure because I didn't know how many stops this would take. So, I asked her to move her bag.

The young woman, probably age 25, looked up from her book just long enough to look me up and down give me a good snear, looked back to her book to say, can't you just take another one.

I was both taken aback and rather insulted, I have never been treated like that by a French person before, so I took another seat, and started worrying that maybe I had lost my touch with the French culture.

Once at the train station I exited the train to find that in order to exit the train station or la gare, I would have to go down a nice long set of stairs. They seemed to go on forever, and they were laughing at me. As stood there, and looked at the stairs, looked at my bags, and then back to the stairs. There's just no way. If I tried, I would likely find it a quick descend, with the help of gravety. Then, I thought about what Allie said; Just look helpless.

Within moments a Frenchman came over, and offered his hand, at the same time the controler came over and let me know that there is a ramp on the other side. Of course there would be a ramp, but this random Frenchman accompanied me just to the front of the Gare anyway. So the kindness of this person quickly negated the evil woman on the train, who was apparently having an awful day.

Finally I waited for Nadia, the person who is essentially my boss at my high school or un lycée. My school is called Le Lycée Emmanuel Mounier, and I will be teaching kids from ages 15 to 22.

Then I walked the town, and I felt my spirits lift a bit, and decided maybe this won't be so bad, sure I can do this! That was of course day 1.

DAY 2: THIS IS REAL

While I still have feelings of excitement about Angers, today I realized, that I have to teach real kids. Perhaps this would be obvious to most, but I actually met kids that I will be teaching, and have to make a lesson plan. Me? Make a lesson plan? This seems nuts!

Nadia was kind enough to take me around town today, and now to the lycée. And at this moment I realize something. This is in fact taking place. I am not dreaming, I am not on vacation, and I am not a student. I am working. Wow. Working eh? In France? Granted my schedule isn't awful, in fact I really only work 4 days a week, and Monday and Tuesdays are my heavy days, so Wednesday and Thursday are a bit lighter.

So, I officially start Thursday, but in a few minutes I will find myself talking to highschoolers that I will be teaching. This should be interesting...

4 comments:

  1. Aww...you're going to love it!

    I'm officially living vicariously through your adventures. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the idea! I'm glad that I know if nothing else good comes of my travels, you will have benefited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mold their oui, little French minds~ mold them like a putty in the hands of a clay-art-maker-person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will do Joel! No problem. ;)

    ReplyDelete